Thursday, September 27, 2007

Further homeschooling adventures.....



This past month we have been talking about dinosaurs, and just having fun with them. We haven't studied the various types and plant eaters versus meat eaters, but have just read about them or done puzzles or whatever. Monday, I was rather organizationally challenged (hard to believe I know) and decided that we would just have a fun school day. Out came the file folder games, silly math assignments, dinosaur puzzles, and butcher paper. The girls played file folder games in math and reading, and the boys played some sentence scrabble game. We made cave paintings on the butcher paper. The highlight of the day was the dino-rama. We put clay in the bottom of a pop can flat, and I printed out background pictures from the internet. The girls colored the pictures, Jared made a palm tree, and I found dinos at All a Dollar. They were put in, but have been arranged several times. The meat eaters keep trying to eat the plant eaters, and there is evidence of an earthquake. It looks like the continents have divided. This is probably the project we have had the most fun with. Now I have to think of something creative for the stone and bronze age. @@
Steve has some better pictures in his camera, so I will upload those when he puts them on the computer.

4 comments:

Omir the Storyteller said...

Yesterday we went to see a Dinos Alive! 3-D movie they're playing at the Imax theater over at Pacific Science Center. It was very interesting seeing the dinosaurs in three dimensions. One of the coolest bits was a double fossil -- a duel to the death between a velociraptor and a protoceratops, flash-frozen in time. Scientists speculate that the two got to fighting in a rainstorm and didn't notice the giant wall of mud barreling down upon them. Probably a lot like Jared and Jacob.

CKLHand said...

Probably a lot like Jared and Jacob.
:P

Hi, Creede! Glad to see you finally got in. Are there pictures available online? The kids would probably like to see that.

Omir the Storyteller said...

Dinos Alive! has a website but I didn't ocpy it down -- it's something like dinosalive3d.com but I'm not sure about that. I'll try to remember to look and see if I can find a picture of that fossil. It was really interesting -- something I'd never seen before.

CKLHand said...

Thanks, Creede! We'll check it out.